Sunday 7 January 2018

Blog-Me-Do Part 4: The Line It Is Drawn

The Line It Is Drawn is a weekly column over at the CBR.com (formerly Comic Book Resources). Every week Followers of the site's Twitter page come up with responses to a comics-related theme, and a group of artists pick a suggestion from this list to illustrate and is then posted online the following week on CBR.com.

I've been following The Line It Is Drawn for a good few years now, and tried out to become one of their regular artists in 2011 and again in 2014.

Both times I wasn't selected, but last April I got an email from Brian Cronin who works at CBR and puts together The Line It Is Drawn each week, asking if I was still interested in being one of their regular artists! So I guess patience really is a virtue.

It's been a lot of fun to be part of, and an interesting challenge each week to come up with a new image based on that week's suggestion. For me, part of the challenge has been to draw something that is hopefully accessible to everyone and not too bogged down in too much Comic Nerd details (although I do enjoy including references to that stuff in my images, but I want to create something that everyone can enjoy).

Below I'm going to post all of my pieces from 2017. Enjoy!

My very first Line It Is Drawn theme was to take a classic comic book cover (Captain America #367) and then draw what happens One Moment Later. Here's the original cover:


And here's my One Moment Later drawing:

---

For the Comic book character/movie mash-up week, I drew Studio Ghibli's Squirrel Girl, in a homage to My Neighbour Totoro:


---

This Guardians of the Galaxy/Peanuts mash-up strip is one of my favourite pieces that I've done so far:


---

What If... Doctor Doom was on a Mother's Day card?


---

An evil version of Patsy Walker (a.k.a. Hellcat)


---

Pirate Squirrel Girl!


---

Wonder Woman and Thor in the style of the cover to Superman vs. Spiderman:


---

This week's theme was to suggest the worst possible crossover between the Watchmen characters and other comic book characters. I chose to draw the cast of Watchmen transported to the Archie Comics Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles universe, (although I think that would actually be pretty awesome):


---

A tribute to the late Adam West (RIP):


---

Batman and Catwoman in a homage to the cover of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album:


---

A Marvel Legacy cover for Nextwave, homaging Avengers #4:


---

MCU Spider-Man teaming up with Netflix's Daredevil:


---

Draw a great comic book romance in ah homage to a famous romantic scene: Thanos and Death in a homage to Titanic...


---

Team-up an American comic book character with a European comic book character: Thor meets Asterix...


---

Nico Minoru from Runaways in a homage to Kill Bill:


---

If Wolverine had Mr Fantastic's powers instead of his own, would he still be a badass?


---

Stephen King/comic book mash-up week: The Joker and Pennywise...


---

Dark Multiverse Thomas The Tank Engine:


---

The Silver Surfer and Black Rider team-up for Jack Kirby's 100th birthday:


---

The Defenders as Simspsons' characters:


---

Based around the fact that IT, from Stephen King's book of the same name, appears to people as their greatest fears, suggest a comic book character and what IT would appear to them as. "Being a devoted Marvel reader, Gwenpool sees IT as Harley Quinn".
I ended up doing two drawings for this one, as I wasn't happy with how the first one turned out:



---

Splice together two comic book characters to create a new one: Fin Fang Foom + Doctor Doom = Fin Fang Doom!


---

Batman on holiday:


---

Squirrel Girl cosplaying as Sailor Moon:


---

A Marve Legacy cover for Cable, homaging Joe Madureira's cover to Uncanny X-Men #345:


---

Wolverine in A Nightmare On Elm Street:


---

Frog Thor vs Battletoads:


---

Wolverine vs the Demogorgon from Stranger Things:


---

The All-Batman Justice League: Bruce Wayne, Terry McGuiness, Dick Grayson, Thomas Wayne and Jim Gordon.


I also did a variant cover for this one with Damien Wayne, Jean Paul Valley, Jason Todd, Batman Jones and The Batman Of Zur-En-Arrh:


---

The Punisher "kills" Mojo Jojo:


---

Kraven's Last Hunt with Kraven The Hunter replaced by Elmer Fudd:


---

Darth Vadar wielding the Infinity Gauntlet:


---

Chris Evans' Captain America and Chris Evans' Human Torch celebrate Christmas together:


---

And that's all for 2017. We're already one week in to The Line It Is Drawn for 2018, and I'll be trying to post each week's drawing as I do them this year, so keep checking back...

No comments:

Post a Comment