Sunday 5 August 2012

Adventures in Ink

Today I attended the 2nd International Alternative Press Festival at Conway Hall. As well as buying a lot of cool comics while I was there, I also took part in an Ink Drawing workshop run by the amazingly talented Zarina Liew. The workshop was a lot of fun and we got to play around with inks and brushes with Zarina explaining the various techniques you can try with inks.

Here's Zarina demonstrating the techniques to a clearly engrossed audience...

Photo courtesy of Richy K. Chandler

And here I am getting down to trying it all out for myself...

Photo courtesy of Richy K. Chandler

One of the techniques that I liked the most was to load the paper with water, and then add the inks, before blowing on the paper causing the ink to spread out across the page. I tried experimenting with this technique to see what effects I could produce and turned it into this final image...



Here's a close-up of the little penguin I added in the corner...



I really like the effects you can achieve with inks and the vibrancy of the colours and definitely plan to experiment some more with this medium...!

No comments:

Post a Comment