Monday 11 January 2016

David Bowie Is...

Like most people, I was shocked to wake up this morning and hear the news about David Bowie's passing. The only album of his I actually own is the 2002 greatest hits compilation, Best of Bowie and I never made it along to the David Bowie exhibition at the V&A a few years ago. But I enjoyed his music, and the movie Labyrinth, and that time he played Nikola Tesla. And the stars look very different today....

And for someone that started making music in the 1960's, he was still so culturally prevalent, a fact that was reinforced by the solid wall of David Bowie tributes that quickly made up my Facebook news feed this morning. And just yesterday while I was sorting through the work on my computer, I found a couple of Bowie drawings I'd done in previous years...

First, a piece I did for an art show in East London by the band Emperor Yes, for the release of their single Cosmos. I drew an illustration of the band surrounded by various space-themed pop culture characters, including (of course!) a cameo from the Starman himself!



The other was a card I made for my friend Nanae, who as well as being a fan of David Bowie shares the same birthday as him (8 January), and has a pet poodle...

No comments:

Post a Comment