Saturday 3 September 2011

Sketchbook Project 2012 (Work In Progress)

I've signed up to take part in The Sketchbook Project 2012 run by the Art House Co-op with the Brooklyn Art Library. Once you've signed up for the project, they post you out a 32 page sketchbook which you then have to fill and send back by the 31 January 2012, to be included in The Sketchbook Project 2012 tour which takes in numerous locations across America, as well as Vancouver, Toronto, London and Melbourne, before being housed within the Brooklyn Art Library and available for people to view.

There are a selection of themes available to choose from to provide a starting point for your sketchbook. I selected Heroes and villains and decided to use this as an opportunity to develop an idea for a series of images that I first came up with a couple of years ago, taking iconic brightly coloured comic book superheroes and villains and placing them in a much more ordinary setting than they are usually depicted.

It's been good not to go near my computer for a change, and I've been using a combination of drawing ink, marker pen and watercolour to create the images. Here's a sneak peak at my work so far...








2 comments:

  1. These make me laugh :-D
    How about Superman at the Launderette?
    He could keep his trousers on while washing his pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. I might use that idea...

    ReplyDelete