Tuesday 19 July 2011

Ghost Poet, Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam

In amongst all the phone-hacking, job-resigning and pie-flinging that has been going on lately, the Barclaycard Mercury Prize 2011 Albums of the Year nominations were announced today.

Having a look at the list of nominations, I was struck by the fact that I didn't have a clue who most of them were! Yes, I saw PJ Harvey at the Reading Festival one year and I liked her album Stories From The City, Songs From The Sea, and I have at least heard of Elbow and Adele, even if I couldn't name you any of their songs, but most of the other names on the list left me none-the-wiser...

Is Katy B related to Scary Spice? Is Tinie Tempah a dyslexic dwarf with a short fuse? And how exactly do you pronounce Gwilym Simcock's first name?

But one nomination stood out for me, based purely on the name, and immediately gave me an idea for a drawing! I have no idea what they're music sounds like (and part of me doesn't want to hear it, as I'd probably only be disappointed), but this is my illustrated impression of Ghost Poet, Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam...

No comments:

Post a Comment