Sunday 17 May 2009

"Books & Literature"



So, I've been working on this idea over the weekend for the theme of Books & Literature. While I'm happy with the drawing of the characters, I was having some issues with the colouring. Originally I had tried a full-colour approach, but because there is quite a lot going on in the backgrounds, I was not happy with the overall effect which looked too busy. After trying a few other approaches to the colouring yesterday, I decided to give up for the day...

Today I was working on something else, and was looking at a black and white print out of the outlines I did yesterday. A few scribbles on the page later, and I decided to try a new approach, adding flat areas of colour to the backgrounds, while leaving the actual figures uncoloured. I quite like the effect which is something different for me.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 17, 2009

    i think the flat simple color works well: it drags the attention to the graphic linework and the characters...

    ReplyDelete