Tuesday 22 April 2008

Creative Project Week 2

I'm loving this! This week's starting point was a lyric:

"Dust gathers on my stereo... cause I can't bear to hear the radio" (one Google search later, I can tell you that this is from I'm Scared by Duffy)

This struck me as quite a melancholic rhyme, and I imagined a once loved radio now discarded. Perhaps usurped by the latest MP3 player. Funnily enough, it kind of tied in with my Radiohead character from the CD artwork I'd recently produced (see my earlier blog, below), and I jotted down a quick sketch on my notepad at work while it was still fresh in my mind...



When I got home, I worked on the final piece based on my sketch. I decided to draw using a charcoal pencil to give a rougher, harsher appearance to the line work. I worked on the various elements separately and then scanned them in and developed the final composition in Photoshop. I then coloured the image using various layers...



However, while I was happy with the drawing and the composition, I felt the colour didn't really help the mood of the image. I converted the picture to greyscale, removing the colour information, and changed the text colour to white with a slight drop shadow. I feel happier with this as a finished piece...

No comments:

Post a Comment